Sunday, April 8, 2007

Blackberry Winter

The other day I received an email from my friend Charles McNair. He and his Paste Magazine partner, Nick Purdy, are founding a "media brand" for the South called SCOUT. In the email Charles named the freezing morning a "blackeberry winter morning." I was curious about the phrase and this is what I found: A (mainly Southern) term used to describe a brief period of cold weather that coincides with the time the blackberries are in bloom, (typically in early to mid May). I like the term but detest the cold and my blackberries are most certainly not in bloom.

Nearly all the beautiful azaleas, lilacs and other flowering delights in my yard are pathetic looking after this record-breaking freeze over the last few days. My luscious tropicals, many of which I have nurtured for long years, were moved outdoors for the season by two strong men. They couldn't be moved back in on short notice, they're just too huge. They're wrapped in sheets and plastic but I don't have a good feeling about what the cold might have done to them. I've been reluctant to go and look until the cold snap is done... maybe by tomorrow. I had thought about waiting to move them until after the tenth of April but the weather seemed so lovely... I should have heeded that little voice, now I'm experiencing Mother Nature's little "gotcha."

I'll bet I'll have to replant all my tomatoes, peppers, sweet basil and strawberries.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am refreshingly "disappointed" because I thought -- though I do not own such a device and only acquired a cell phone about 15 months ago -- that this blog would be about being cooped up all winter using those ubiquitous BlackBerry devices!! How lovely not to "hear" a writer drone on with complaints about how tied he or she is to work and its formidable 24/7 demands. Where's the hot chocolate?