Friday, April 27, 2007

The Hummingbird Wars

My friend Bill York, who like me is a hummingbird enthusiast, tells me that the hummers have returned early this year. Bill called the other day to say that he had already seen a pair near his deck. He promptly put up a feeder.

At the end of last year's season my favorite feeder fell and broke, leaving me to search for a new one. I was unable to find a replacement as the season was over and the kind I like were off the shelves. The stores that sell animal products have a selection of various sizes and styles and most of them are pitiful.

Yesterday, keeping in mind that I knew what I wanted, I went hunting. I was in luck. One of the local stores had a 50% off sale on last year's feeders and as it happens they were exactly the kind I prefer. I bought three.

From this time of year until October when the hummingbirds leave for warmer climes, every week or so I can be seen with red-stained hands. This is because I always make my own nectar; 1/4 cup of sugar to 1 cup of water and a tiny drop of red food coloring, and I always manage to get some of the powerful red stuff on my fingers. I heat the water so the sugar will dissolve thoroughly, add the food coloring and when the nectar has cooled down I fill the feeders. I hang them from the pergola above my deck and in the trees in the front yard and then I wait for the hungry little birds to entertain me as they zip in for nourishment.

A few years ago when they were in full summer's activities, and after having tried for weeks to attract these tiny birds, I wrote this little story and I share it with you now.

The Hummingbird Wars

I have finally been successful in coaxing the establishment of a hummingbird population in my yard. The feeder needs regular replenishment. My cats and I are royally entertained by “hummer” antics as we watch them just outside the living room window. Unaware of their diminutive size, hummingbirds are feisty and territorial. They are diligent in their performance of hummingbird business: raising lilliputian progeny and vying for first nectar-drinking rights.

Lately a dominant male has taken to hiding in the philodendron that swings beside the feeder. He is determined to keep others away from “his” food source. It is a constant battle. The moment he takes off chasing one impertinent interloper, another zooms in to steal a meal.

The other day while I was watering the flowers on my deck, the self-appointed proprietor of the feeder confronted me. For a moment, it was a stand-off as we each remained in position, he in midair, I, motionless, not wanting to frighten him away. How often can you stare down such a brave critter? But in a flash a brazen encroacher, unaware of our rendezvous, zipped onto the scene and he and my heroic tenant nearly crashed before my eyes.

An old fable about the hummingbird goes like this: Once there was a great fire in the jungle. A hummingbird, flying at high speed, passed by a lion. The lion, startled, asked him, “Hummingbird, where are you going in such a hurry?”

The hummingbird responded, “I am carrying water, in my beak, to put out a fire in the forest!”

The lion retorted, “But the amount of water you can carry in your beak is so tiny!”

To which the hummingbird replied, “I am doing my part!”

How about you?

No comments: